23 February 2011

WHAT'S HAPPENING IN THE STUDIO

I've been working on this dress for an upcoming photo shoot and I'm so giddy I can't stand it! This is definitely the most fun piece I've worked on and I can't wait for you guys to see the finished product.  I'm normally really bad about documenting the process of most things I make, and seeing things take shape is the most fascinating part of design to me. Starting now, I'm going to try real hard to photograph as I go. So here begins our journey of the first garment.

When it comes to designing a piece such as this, I prefer to drape on a dress form. I always begin by pinning the uncut fabric in different ways to see what composition I like. Once I have settled on the basic shape, I start to measure and cut everything out. I wanted this dress to have a lot of depth so I'm using multiple layers of fabric starting with the lining and building numerous layers of tulle on top until it's full enough. (Can it ever be too full!) I love working with this fabric! 

So, this is only half way done. I'll be posting the rest of the process along with photos of the finished product in the next week or two so stay tuned!





2 comments:

  1. That is a beautiful dress! Jordan is silly. I am looking so forward to my weekend down there-I miss both of you. It seems like it has been forever since I've seen you.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails